Healthy Start helps you give your family the very best start in life
If you’re pregnant or have a child under 4, you could get Healthy Start vouchers to help buy some basic foods. This important means-tested scheme provides vouchers to spend with local retailers. Pregnant women and children over 1 and under 4 can get one £3.10 voucher per week. Children under 1 can get two £3.10 vouchers (£6.20) per week.
The vouchers can be spent on:
- plain cow’s milk – whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed. It can be pasteurised, sterilised, long life or UHT
- fresh, frozen and tinned fruit and vegetables including loose, pre-packed, whole, sliced, chopped or mixed fruit or vegetables, fruit in fruit juice, or fruit or vegetables in water, but not those to which fat, salt, sugar or flavouring have been added
- fresh, dried and tinned pulses, including but not limited to lentils, beans, peas and chickpeas but not those to which fat, salt, sugar or flavouring have been added
- infant formula milk that says it can be used from birth and is based on cow’s milk
You can check your eligibility and apply for vourchers by acing the Healthy Start website healthystart.nhs.uk/healthy-start-vouchers/how-to-apply.
Healthy Start vitamins
Women and children getting Healthy Start food vouchers also get vitamin coupons to swap for free Healthy Start vitamins. Healthy Start vitamins are specifically designed for pregnant and breastfeeding women and growing children.
Healthy Start vitamins are given out by the Children and Family Centres in Bromley. During this period of COVID-19, the centres are running a delivery service; details are below.
The Bromley Children Project works in partnership with Healthy Start NHS acting as a collection point for the Healthy Start Vitamins. With the temporary closure of the Children & Family Centres due to the Government's COVID-19 containment measures, the way we issue the Healthy Start vitamins has been adapted to ensure families are still able to receive the vitamins through the scheme. With immediate effect you need to:
- Email your nearest Children and Family Centre at one of the following addresses
- Attach a photo of your voucher along with your name, address & contact number
We will then arrange for the vitamins to be delivered to your doorstep.